Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Farewell, Rod

Rod Brind'Amour announced his retirement today, and like any good Caniac, I am sad.

The trade that brought Rod Brind'Amour to Raleigh was a seminal moment in my hockey fandom. It ultimately led to the birth of Clever Sign Chick because the player we traded for him was Keith Primeau. Primeau's supreme suckitude warranted relentless harrassment, and it was a cause to which I felt compelled to contribute my personal attention and skill with Sharpies whenever he visited Carolina as an opponent thereafter.

I kinda miss harrassing Primeau - he's long gone from the NHL- but not as much as I will miss cheering on the player who personified leadership and dedication as the Captain of the Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes: Rod Brind'Amour.

Rod didn't know when he came to Raleigh that he would come to love it here. I hope his new circumstances prove just as unexpectedly wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment